» posted on Tuesday, November 29th, 2016 at 5:20 pm by admin
Hillsborough County Juvenile Civil Citation Program & 2011-2016 Stats
- Civil Citation Program began in 2005-2006 school year as a pilot program with Tampa Police Department school resource officers.
- In 2006 the program was taken county-wide in schools
- In 2009 the program expanded to petit theft in the community
- In 2011 the program was expanded to the entire circuit, all law enforcement agencies, in school and community.
- Citations includes 11 offenses (limited to 1st time non-violent misdemeanors):
- Petit Theft
- Criminal Mischief
- Disorderly Conduct
- Disruption of a school function
- Simple Possession of Alcohol
- Violation of a city or county ordinance
- Delinquent Act Citation Pilot Program (DAC) – runs from August 1, 2016 to July 31, 2017. Alternative to arrest and possible record for juveniles (first time offenders between 8-17) found to be in possession of 20 grams or less of cannabis or drug paraphernalia. Cooperative effort between, State Attorney, Public Defender, Hillsborough Sheriff, Tampa Police Department, Temple Terrace Police Department, Plant City Police Department, the Administrative Office of the Courts, and the Clerk of the Circuit Court. (source: Hillsborough State Attorney’s Office)
Newly elected State Attorney, Andrew Warren, has called for the expansion of this program and has criticized the underutilization of the citations.